The Boy Can't Spell, Spell Casting Fraught With Problems

The first thing I do when starting a new post is open another tab or window with a dictionary, or two dictionaries, depending on what vocabulary gear my brain is in.  I could easily relate the the young man in this story.  He can not spell and casting spells for him can be very dangerous and or very destructive.

He was not born or educated poorly, he was messed with by the bad guys at an early age.  The oh so interesting spell casting alone in this absorbing read is built solidly around the caster's ability to spell in one or more of the languages of spells.

Of course, the world as they know it is in grave peril and Nicodemus Weal, just might be the only man who can save it. The story is much more complicated than your average neophyte "wizard in training" story. Social and political environments are dynamic and complex.

I love first novels and the author, Blake Charlton, has opened his writing career with a great story, Spellwright. I eagerly anticipate the forthcoming sequel to this engaging story.  Booklist gave Spellwright a starred review, I can't agree more, it shines brightly

I could also identify with the author's back story.  Severely dyslexic through the seventh grade where his intense interest in fantasy helped him beat the problem.  The books of Robert A. Heinlein, E. E."Doc" Smith and Ayn Rand brought me into the light about that same time in my life.

 Music in my head today
Real Animal by Alejandro Escovedo 
Alejandro is his own genre, he crosses all trails
and blazes trails where others have not gone.

Regards,
Richard

1 comment: