I Think This Is A Rant. Mea Culpa and My Apologies, Sorta Maybe

A patron came in the other day asking for Orson Scott Card’s
new book Hidden Empire. She said I had recommended Empire
and wanted to know what happened next.
I did not remember recommending the book Empire.
I did not remember reading the book Empire.
Aging is not a funny thing.
I have now read the book Empire, I had not read it before.
Basic premise is Civil War in the United States of America.
With no real North South or East West divide it was a mess.
Blue States vs Red States with messy Urban Blues in the
midst of Rural Reds thrown in everywhere and don't forget Your Neighbors.
How could such a thing happen in the United States of America?
Simple, we are polarized as never before save the 1860's.
Just before the Civil War we all know about.
No one is moving an inch to meet in the center.
We are going down and we are going down hard.
I will undoubtedly read the new book to see what happens next.

But; and this is a really big but.
If you do nothing more, read the “AFTERWORD” p.341-347.

Everyone is “right” in what they think in today’s America.
Critical Thinking may now be defined as thinking critically of anyone,
absolutely anyone, who thinks differently than you.
We are all rocket scientist in this America.
I grew up in the late 50's and early 60's and remember Hope.
I wish there was a little more to go around.
Regards,
Richard

2 comments:

  1. I've yet to read anything by Vince Flynn, but my husband loves his stuff and so, of course, I hear about it. When I read Card's _Empire_ it seemed to me like "Vince Flynn Lite". Maybe that is not fair to say. Maybe it doesn't even make sense. But though I don't much like lite beer, or lite sour cream, I do like my political thrillers lite, and I liked this book. Instead of looking for the sequel right away, I picked up another of Card's stories - _Enchanted_. Also liked that one, though I thought I mightn't. Suppose I'd better read _Ender's Game_ now just to see what everyone's been talking about. Ha.
    I enjoy reading your reviews-keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacie,
    Thanks for joining the fray, thought no one is fighting yet. I enjoy hearing from my readers.
    I hope you read the AFTERWORD. It alone was worth the price of the book for me.
    Richard

    ReplyDelete